In Case of Death: Straight Talk on Washington Wrongful Death

Free download. Book file PDF easily for everyone and every device. You can download and read online In Case of Death: Straight Talk on Washington Wrongful Death file PDF Book only if you are registered here. And also you can download or read online all Book PDF file that related with In Case of Death: Straight Talk on Washington Wrongful Death book. Happy reading In Case of Death: Straight Talk on Washington Wrongful Death Bookeveryone. Download file Free Book PDF In Case of Death: Straight Talk on Washington Wrongful Death at Complete PDF Library. This Book have some digital formats such us :paperbook, ebook, kindle, epub, fb2 and another formats. Here is The CompletePDF Book Library. It's free to register here to get Book file PDF In Case of Death: Straight Talk on Washington Wrongful Death Pocket Guide.


  1. US judge orders North Korea to pay $500 million over Otto Warmbier's death
  2. What is Wrongful Death?
  3. Washington Wrongful Death Book
  4. Wrongful Death Lawyer | Lehmbecker Law Firm | Bellevue, WA

The femur fractures were surgically repaired with an intramedullary nail implanted in his right femur and fixed in place with surgical screws. After four days of hospitalization, the plaintiff was non-weight bearing and essentially immobile for two months. He then began extensive physical therapy. As he began to walk again, he had extensive pain in his right femur, right knee and right hip.

  1. The Adventures of Hyde and Zeek: In the Tick of Time?
  2. All Around The Year;
  3. Géopolitique de lEurope (Impulsion) (French Edition).

He walked with a significant limp with the use of a cane. In addition, he had to put most of his weight on his left leg, which began to cause pain in his left knee, left hip and low back. It took one year for his femur fractures to reach maximum medical improvement.

US judge orders North Korea to pay $500 million over Otto Warmbier's death

A functional capacity exam revealed a 41 percent permanent impairment of his right leg, and a 15 percent permanent impairment of his left leg. The plaintiff had pre-existing arthritis in both knees and his right hip. However, prior to the accident, he had no chronic pain and had been able to play basketball and softball, hunt and fish, work on his knees at work, and lift material and machinery at work, all without difficulty.

Prior to the accident, the plaintiff had worked 25 years in the store fixture business. As a result of his injuries, he lost his job as general manager and was unable to find new employment. His permanent impairment limited any further advancement in the company. After he returned to work, the strain on his injuries caused a substantial increase in pain.

He began taking heavy doses of narcotics to deal with the pain. Steroid injections and pain management measures were ineffective, and approximately two years after his initial surgery, he underwent right knee replacement. This caused him to miss another three months of work. Because of his age, these orthotic replacements would wear out in approximately years, and he would need additional knee and hip replacements.

Overall, the plaintiff will require a total of nine surgeries, two of which have already been done. The defense contested liability and damages. Medication was initially unsuccessful, but the case subsequently resolved approximately three months prior to trial. Type of Action: Personal injury - trucking accident Injuries alleged: Two comminuted fractures of the right femur; a comminuted fracture of the right patella; cartilage damage to the right knee and right hip; aggravation of pre-existing arthritis in right knee and right hip; 41 percent impairment of right leg; impaired gait and posture resulting in additional adverse effects to left knee, left hip and low back.

In , the plaintiff, a year-old teenage boy, was injured when the automobile in which he was a passenger was struck by an SUV that failed to stop at a stop sign. The plaintiff was taken by ambulance to the hospital, where it was discovered that he had suffered a head injury with an epidural hematoma, requiring a craniotomy to evacuate the blood. The surgery was successful and the plaintiff was released from the hospital after a 3-day admission.

The plaintiff was able to return to school, ultimately completing his middle school and high school without disruption. However, the plaintiff struggled throughout his schooling with headaches, sleep difficulties, tinnitus, and difficulties with concentration, attention and memory. He also had occasional lapse spells, where he experienced short periods of time where he lost awareness of his surroundings. Notwithstanding these difficulties, the plaintiff was able to complete high school with a grade point average of over 3. After high school, the plaintiff matriculated to VCU, where he completed his first two years.

His grades at VCU have been markedly lower than his high school grades. The defense experts also disputed that the plaintiff would need any of the items included in the Life Care Plan. The parties settled the case at a mediation conducted prior to trial. Cantor, Stephanie E. Grana, Elliott M. The decedent was a registered nurse, wife and mother of two who fell on the steps at a commercial facility.

The plaintiff alleged that the steps were not built according to the building code, such that the defendants were negligent per se. Plaintiff further alleged the defendants were negligent per se. Plaintiff further alleged the defendants were negligent pursuant to common law because they had prior notice of defects in the steps, which had not been properly repaired. The plaintiff planned to prove proximate cause through two eyewitnesses who saw the fall.

The primary issue in the case involved whether the decedent died as a result of the fall. At the time of the fall, she suffered a trimalleolar fracture of her ankle, which was surgically repaired and casted. She was then non-weight bearing and essentially immobile for two months during the healing process.

After the decedent had her cast removed, she underwent out-patient surgery to have the screws removed and began physical therapy. Eight days after the second surgery, and approximately nine weeks after her fall, the decedent became suddenly critically ill and died. No autopsy was performed. The plaintiff claimed the decedent died from the pulmonary embolus, caused by a deep vein thrombosis which had formed in her leg as a result of her injury and post-surgery immobility.

The defendants claimed that the decedent died as a result of cardiac arrest unrelated to her fall. They contended that the decedent had risk factors for cardiac disease, primarily because she was a diabetic and obese. Causation was strongly contested. In addition, the plaintiff had two independent cardiologists and one independent orthopedist review all of the records and depositions in the case.

The three experts agreed that the decedent had died as a result of a pulmonary embolus caused by her injuries, resulting treatment and immobility after the fall. The defendants retained a cardiologist an orthopedist and a pulmonologist, who opined that the decedent had died from an unrelated heart attack. Rescue squad personnel also provided important factual information critical to the diagnosis of pulmonary embolus being the cause of death.

The Decedent was driving an automobile that was in the process of making a left turn into a driveway when the defendant, driving a tractor-trailer, struck the automobile as the tractor-trailer was attempting to pass the automobile. The tractor-trailer initiated its pass around the automobile in a passing zone, but the actual impact between the vehicles was in a no-passing zone.

Liability was hotly contested between the parties. The defense contended that the Decedent was contributorily negligent, claiming that he failed to give a visible turn signal as required by Virginia Code Sections The Decedent died at the scene of the crash.

The statutory beneficiaries of the Decedent were his wife and two adult sons. The Decedent was an appliance repair technician. This wrongful death action was originally filed as a personal injury suit for failure to diagnose lung cancer. Unfortunately, the plaintiff died during the pendency of the case, and it was amended to a wrongful death action, prosecuted by two adult children as administrators of the Estate on behalf of the four adult children beneficiaries. Willever had been a long-standing patient of the defendant, a primary care physician.

In , as a part of an annual physical examination, the defendant performed an in-house chest film and missed an obvious early Stage IA lung lesion. She was years old at the time and had a former history of smoking for over thirty years. The defendant did not have the film over-read by a radiologist nor did he order follow-up imaging. The subsequent year, in , the Defendant, as part of the annual examination, repeated the chest film.

Again, he missed the lesion, which had grown and metastasized. In , the patient became symptomatic. A repeat annual chest film taken in showed late stage metastatic cancer, which the defendant misinterpreted as bronchitis or pneumonia. He placed the patient on antibiotics. When her symptoms were not relieved by a course of antibiotics, she was referred to a radiologist who immediately reported finding a large lesion, consistent with advanced lung cancer. Willever underwent 16 rounds of chemotherapy and died on October 25, , at the age of She was survived by her four adult children, none of whom were economically dependent upon her.

What is Wrongful Death?

He pointed out abnormalities on the , and films to the jury. He testified that the tumor in was an early stage lesion, and Mrs. On proximate causation, the Estate called both a thoracic surgeon and an oncologist. He explained the surgery would be done in a minimally invasive fashion with a hospitalization of three to five days and no additional chemotherapy or radiation.

Once a diagnosis was made in , the cancer had advanced to a Stage IIIB, and a surgical cure was no longer an option. He pointed out the abnormalities on each film. He explained the progression of lung cancer in the patient along with her various treatment options and survivability rates at each stage. The case was defended on both the standard of care and causation. The defense emphasized that the films only indicated lung lesions upon retrospective review. The defense expert, a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, testified that the and films were consistent with pulmonary hypertension and did not require a referral to a radiologist or follow-up imaging.

The jury was instructed by the Court and deliberated for approximately 2 hours. Final judgment was entered and has been paid in full, plus post-judgment interest. Richard B. His diagnoses were never properly confirmed by available testing. Cystic fibrosis is an incurable disease which results in progressive pulmonary and pancreatic dysfunction, sterility and an early death.

The plaintiff learned from a young age that he would undergo daily treatment, eventual bilateral lung transplants, sterility and a premature death. Plaintiff put on evidence that the child underwent over 3, hours of unnecessary chest physiotherapy, which was administered every day. He ingested almost 40, doses of pancreatic enzymes, underwent 26 unnecessary chest x-rays, consumed 23 different types of medications, in addition to enduring other medically invasive treatments including a bronchoscopy, deep throat cultures, blood draws and intravenous administration of unnecessary antibiotics.

In addition, the plaintiff called a child psychologist who testified as to the psychological impact of the diagnosis, and its reversal, on the child. He conceded that the child had never been properly tested, had mild symptoms consistent with asthma, and that the testing he performed definitively ruled out CF and PI. The Defendant relied on the fact that the plaintiff had some initial test results which raised the suspicion of CF and mild symptoms that could have been consistent with asthma or CF. Under these circumstances, the Defendant contended treatment was reasonable.

Washington Wrongful Death Book

In terms of causation, the Defendant argued the plaintiff suffered no known side effects from unnecessary medications and therapies and should be relieved by the fact that he did not have the diseases. Melvin R. Plaintiff, a 53 year old man, had previously suffered an odontoid fracture in which required a spinal fusion from C1 to C5. He had done well and was employed as a supervisor for 30 years. When he developed some difficulty walking with secondary bilateral leg weakness, he was admitted into the hospital by his neurosurgeon for a re-do occiput to C5 instrumentation and fusion.

The anesthesia pre-procedure consult noted specific concerns for anesthesia including severely limited neck motion due to cervical traction in neutral position and a limited mouth opening. A subsequent pre-procedure consult note indicated a more normal assessment. Prior to the commencement of the surgery, the anesthesia providers provided some sedation while the monitor and oxygen were applied. A transtracheal block was performed. Two minutes later, the plaintiff was induced with Lidocaine and Propofol.

The combination of these drugs can cause a patient to become apneic which can normally be cared for. Two oral attempts were then made with a fiberoptic bronchoscope, but were unsuccessful. It was noted that the plaintiff remained spontaneously breathing, but required pressure support via mask between attempts. Rocuronium is an intermediate-acting muscle relaxant, which is not reversible for at least 20 to 30 minutes.

  1. Behind the Lies (A Montgomery Justice Novel Book 2).
  2. Who has the right to sue?.
  3. Tucson Wrongful Death Lawyers | Zanes Law.
  4. Be the Smartest Client in the Room.
  5. Wrongful Death & Fatal Accident Attorneys in Seattle, Washington;
  6. Memories and Meanderings, a Rajat Hooja Autobiography: The Sequel.

Essentially, the plaintiff was paralyzed at this point and could no longer breathe for himself. The anesthesia providers no longer had the option of being able to immediately awaken their patient. A third attempt at fiberoptic intubation was unsuccessful. The plaintiff then became difficult and then, impossible to mask ventilate with two providers and an oral airway. The next maneuver attempted was a direct laryngoscopy, but failed. An attempt at supraglottic airway was made, but failed as well.

The plaintiff was now bradycardic while still maintaining a blood pressure. An angiocatheter was placed through the neck into his trachea and oxygen was insufflated through the catheter. This helped for a short period of time, but became clotted and no further oxygenation was possible.

At this time, the anesthesia providers decided to place a tracheostomy. Unfortunately, multiple attempts made to place the tracheostomy were unsuccessful. An ENT physician then entered the operating room to further assist. The plaintiff became more bradycardic and eventually, no palpable pulses were felt.

CPR commenced and he received approximately 4 minutes of chest compressions. The plaintiff was finally intubated via direct laryngoscopy while the ENT was working on the tracheotomy. Immediately after the patient was successfully intubated, his oxygen saturations returned to more normal levels. Shortly thereafter, the providers were able to re-establish a cardiac rhythm and blood pressure.

The neurosurgeon deemed that his patient was grossly unstable from a pulmonary and cardiovascular standpoint the planned neurosurgical procedure was aborted. Despite various medical interventions that followed, the plaintiff remained neurologically devastated and did not have any spontaneous movement or response to painful stimuli. An EEG was performed and noted a pattern typically seen following anoxic injury after cardiac arrest, suggestive of a poor prognosis.

He was taken for a tracheostomy and PEG tube placement. After more than a month in the hospital, the plaintiff was discharged to a long-term care facility where he remains today. Although he has been weaned from the ventilator, the plaintiff remains unable to care for himself independently, unable to walk and unable to communicate verbally. He is currently being cared for by his parents and 5 siblings who all live locally.

Type of action: Medical malpractice case involving permanent anoxic brain injury requiring a lifetime of care. Injuries alleged: Permanent anoxic brain injury. Plaintiff was an independent and healthy 27 year old who was injured in a car accident in December and underwent surgery for multiple orthopedic injuries. Plaintiff tolerated the surgery well. At the close of the surgery, Plaintiff exhibited airway difficulties following extubation by the CRNA. There were additional allegations of missing equipment.

Due to inadequate oxygenation, Plaintiff suffered a severe and permanent anoxic brain injury and is unable to care for himself independently, cannot walk and cannot communicate verbally. Following 24 hour nursing home care for the first year following the injury, Plaintiff is now cared for by his mother in her home full-time, with the assistance of home health care. The plaintiff sustained a mild traumatic brain injury and injuries to her neck and shoulder in a motor vehicle accident.

Plaintiff was treated by a family physician who was prepared to testify that he knew plaintiff well before and after the subject accident and that plaintiff was a very different person after the accident. Plaintiff was also treated by a neuropsychiatrist, a neurologist, and a physiatrist. The plaintiff, age 56, suffered an upper cervical fracture and mild brain injury in a motor vehicle collision.

The plaintiff underwent cervical fusion surgery but continued to have pain after the operation. Several months after cervical surgery, the plaintiff continued to complain of memory loss and problems with concentration and attention. She was eventually diagnosed by a neurologist as having suffered a mild traumatic brain injury. The defense experts-a neurologist, psychiatrist and neuropsychologist-all took the position that the plaintiff had not suffered a brain injury in the collision and that her cognitive problems were all a result of a pre-existing narcotic dependence, developed as a result of unrelated gastrointestinal issues.

Plaintiff, who was eighteen years old at the time of injury, was transported to the emergency room following a crush injury to his right leg. The defendant orthopedic surgeon accepted care of the patient on the night of his admission, but did not evaluate him until the following morning and did not operate until the following afternoon.

A lower extremity CT scan, conducted on the night of admission, revealed a transverse femur fracture with posterior and lateral displacements of the distal fracture fragments and an additional anterior comminuted fragment. The CT also revealed a large hematoma. Following the CT scan, the defendant failed to confirm that the vascular status of leg was intact and failed to rule out compartment syndrome.

The next morning, the defendant conducted his first examination of the plaintiff and documented decreased sensation and asymmetric pulses in the right lower extremity. Despite findings indicative of vascular compromise, the defendant did not immediately consult a vascular surgeon, obtain a doppler or duplex examination of the leg, or plan to proceed with emergent surgery. The defendant operated on a non-emergent patient before attending to the plaintiff.

Anterior and lateral compartments revealed pressures at acutely elevated levels of 80 mmHg. Following surgery, PACU nurses were unable to palpate or auscultate a dorsalis pedis pulse, and the post-tibial pulse was only faintly palpable. The defendant was advised of sluggish capillary refill and diminished pulses, but took no action. Shortly thereafter, the plaintiff lost all sensation in his right foot. A hospitalist was eventually consulted, and the plaintiff was transferred to a Level I Trauma Center for emergency vascular surgery.

The surgery revealed that the plaintiff had suffered complete transection of the right popliteal artery and vein just above the knee joint. The plaintiff was monitored for several days after attempted revascularization, however, motor and sensory function did not return to his right lower limb. The plaintiff thereafter underwent a below-knee amputation of the right lower extremity. Child born with misdiagnosed congenital hip dysplasia. Delay in diagnosis will cause plaintiff to undergo major bilateral surgeries over lifetime.

Plaintiff alleged that defense radiologists failed to detect bilateral hip dyplasia in ultrasounds conducted at birth and at four months of age. As a result, plaintiff lost the opportunity to be treated conservatively during the first six to eight months of life with a Pavlik harness. The dysplasia was not diagnosed until she was 8-years-old, when she underwent bilateral hip reconstruction. She faces a lifetime of hip replacements, starting at age 20 when she has achieved complete bone growth. As of December , the plaintiff, age 83, was a husband and primary caretaker to his wife of over 60 years and their mentally challenged adult son.

He was a retired Air Force chaplain who had been awarded a Bronze Star for meritorious service in Vietnam and a retired community minister. Despite his age, plaintiff was a generally healthy and independent man who was responsible for shopping, preparing meals, housekeeping, laundry and transportation. Following a car accident that resulted in major front end damage to his vehicle, plaintiff was taken the emergency room. The x-ray report noted advanced degenerative changes with no fractures. Shortly thereafter, he was released home via a taxi. The next morning, plaintiff was unable to move his arms and legs.

He was returned to the same emergency room and the CT revealed a transverse fracture through C6. Upon review, the fracture had been visible on the x-rays from the day before. Subsequent surgery was performed but plaintiff remained paralyzed. Plaintiff spent the next year enduring physical therapy and attempted recovery at various nursing homes, rehabilitation facilities and hospitals. Unfortunately, he was unable to fully recover from the injuries associated with the delayed diagnosis of his C6 fracture and resultant paralysis.

He died just over one year after the initial emergency room admission and is survived by his wife and two adult children. Injuries alleged: Delayed diagnosis of neck fracture resulting in improper hospital discharge and subsequent paralysis and death. Experts: Case settled before experts were named.

This claim involved the death of a year old male, survived by a sole beneficiary, his wife. He presented to the defendant gastroenterologist with a history of morbid obesity, a reported weight loss of 80 pounds in less than three months, in addition to abdominal pain, constipation, vomiting and nausea. The decedent did not have a primary care physician and had no established baseline laboratory values.

The defendant gastroenterologist did not order any imaging or laboratory studies, and scheduled the decedent for an esophagogastroduodenoscopy EGD , which revealed bilious fluids in the stomach. The defendant then ordered the first of three consecutive colonoscopies. The first procedure was unsuccessful due to fetal blockage. Two consecutive colonoscopies, with required bowel preparation, were conducted by the defendant over the following two days.

The first one failed again due to blockage, and the second procedure was reported as successful.

Washington Personal Injury Lawyer Discusses What Your Personal Injury Case is Worth

Following the third colonoscopy, recovery vital signs indicated that the decedent continued to be tachycardic, despite oxygen administered at 4 liters per minute. The decedent had an extremely low body temperature and reported severe fatigue. He coded and was pulseless for 15 minutes, before he was resuscitated. He was determined to be brain dead, and life support was withdrawn.

Simple laboratory studies would have demonstrated that the decedent had adult onset diabetes. This diagnosis would have resulted in an entirely different course of treatment and care. This case involved a claim by a year-old married mother of two young children for failure to diagnose a trigeminal schwannoma, a benign extra-axial brain tumor behind her left eye. The tumor pressed against the nerve fibers of the dura and her trigeminal nerve, the fifth cranial nerve, causing excruciating headaches, photophobia, tongue numbness and other complaints. The Defendant has an exclusive agreement to review and interpret all imaging studies at Rockingham Memorial Hospital.

In August of , the Plaintiff, age 20 at the time, presented to the Hospital with complaints of severe, persistent headaches and dizziness. The ER physician ordered a CT scan without contrast to evaluate her complaints. The scan was interpreted by a radiologist-employee of Defendant and was interpreted as normal. Plaintiff was sent home without further evaluation by MRI, which is the gold standard for the diagnosis of such tumors. The radiologist missed obvious abnormalities which should have triggered a MRI, including calcifications, bony remodeling of the cranium, caused by the pressure exerted by the tumor, and the margins of the golf-ball sized tumor.

The plaintiff again presented to the ER in December of with tumor-related complaints, which had worsened over time. She again received a CT scan without contrast. Another radiologist-employee of the Defendant read this film as normal and compared it to the film, which he interpreted as normal as well. Again, the Plaintiff was sent home without further evaluation or treatment of the tumor.

This CT scan was preliminarily interpreted by a night-service radiologist for the practice group who noted a mass on the film. The Plaintiff was emergently transported by ambulance to UVMC and underwent a MRI of the brain that confirmed the moderately large trigeminal schwannoma. Subsequently, she underwent a radical craniotomy and tumor resection. After a period of recovery, she regained her normal enjoyment of life and her family, relieved of the noted symptoms and complaints. Plaintiff called as an adverse witness the radiologist-employee of Defendant who made the critical diagnosis of the suspected mass on the CT scan.

Additionally, Plaintiff called two board-certified radiology experts who explained the abnormalities shown on the and films that should have prompted additional evaluation under the standard of care. The plaintiff and family members testified about her three-year ordeal which left her incapacitated to take care of her young children and her disabled mother. Plaintiff additionally called a neurosurgeon to testify about the mechanism of injury resulting from the compression of the tumor on the dura and on the three branches of the trigeminal nerve.

The Defendant called two radiologists as experts. They further claimed that the area where the tumor was located was very difficult to assess with a CT scan without contrast. Both sides stipulated that the tumor remained the same size throughout the period in question, from through The Plaintiff would have had the same surgery, a radical craniotomy, in as she had upon diagnosis in No special damages were submitted to the jury. The jury deliberated for three hours and returned a unanimous verdict, confirmed by polling. The Court received oral and written argument and denied the Motion.

Thereafter, the case was settled for 1. Type of Action: Medical malpractice Injuries alleged: Misdiagnosed extra-axial brain tumor causing severe headaches, photophobia, tongue numbness, diffuse numbness, dizziness, weakness, depression and anxiety for a period of three years. Name of case: Nicole Mae Hedrick v. Rockingham Radiologists, Ltd. The newborn decedent was a twin who died on the ninth day of life. The twin was born prematurely at a gestational age of 33 weeks and 5 days, with a birth weight of 4. He was diagnosed prenatally with pulmonary atresia, with an expected cardiac intervention planned following birth.

The decedent, who was stable prior to surgery, underwent a cardiac catheterization procedure with radiofrequency RF perforation of the atretic pulmonary valve and pulmonary balloon septostomy. Two complications developed during the procedure. The pulmonary valve membrane was perforated resulting in a pericardial tamponade. The tamponade was timely recognized and treated with the removal of 30 milliliters of blood from the pericardium and auto-transfusion.

Secondly, during the course of establishing vascular access for the procedure, the greater saphenous vein was transected just below the saphenofemoral junction. The transection was not was not timely recognized, and within hours, resulted in acute hemorrhage. Following the procedure, the newborn was sent to the neonatal intensive care unit NICU. The attending neonatologist failed to order an assessment of the femoral access site, timely monitoring and blood transfusions.

The neonate decompensated over the course of five and a half hours in the NICU with delayed capillary refill, and declining blood pressure, temperature, respiratory rates and oxygen saturation levels. An abdominal ultrasound demonstrated fluid in the abdomen. The decedent progressed to full cardiorespiratory arrest. Blood gas testing confirmed that he developed severe lactic acidosis as a result of hemorrhaging following the interventional catheterization procedure.

Hemorrhagic bleeding induced a secondary disseminated intravascular coagulation DIC. Emergent bedside surgery was performed to explore the femoral access site. Operative findings revealed that that the greater saphenous vein had been transected with active bleeding at the proximal and distal ends and suggillation of thigh tissues. The decedent developed a grade 4 intraventricular hemorrhage as a result of fluctuation in cerebral blood flow from severe acidosis, hypoxia, and hypotension.

Paxil Suicide Lawsuit

At autopsy, examination of the left iliac vessels revealed a vascular defect in the left groin, a hematoma over the left psoas muscle extending to the inguinal area, a laceration of the medial main pulmonary artery, and additional serosanguinous fluid in the peritoneal cavity. The case was resolved prior to the designation of experts. The decedent was survived by his parents, brother and twin sister. Settlement occurred pre-litigation at mediation with the Honorable Thomas S. Shadrick Ret. Koontz, Jr. Virginia Supreme Court, as observer for accreditation.

This case involved the alleged mismanagement of the high risk labor and delivery of a pregestational insulin-dependent diabetic mother. For a period of over twenty-six hours during labor, the mother was not given insulin despite elevated blood sugar levels upon admission and thereafter. The mother developed life-threatening diabetic ketoacidosis. The fetus suffered severe ketoacidosis-induced hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy. Upon delivery, the newborn was resuscitated and lived for six days prior to the removal of life support due to global brain damage that was incompatible with life.

Two claims were asserted: 1. The case was very fact-specific and largely turned on agency issues. After more than a year of litigation and discovery, the case settled approximately one month before trial. The decedent, age months, died following the administration of anesthesia for an elective surgery. The child was born prematurely at a gestational age of twenty-eight weeks, with a birth weight of 1.

He was born with ambiguous genitalia that necessitated a series of urological surgeries to free the tethered testicles and reconstruct the genitalia. The decedent also suffered from failure to thrive syndrome and was grossly underweight at the time of the urological surgery. Prior to that point, the decedent had undergone unrelated surgeries under general anesthesia and had experienced laryngospasm, which was successfully resolved, on one occasion.

The child experienced a profound bradycardic episode shortly after the caudal block consistent with the early biphasic absorption of the anesthetic. The child was revived momentarily and the surgery continued, followed by another crash in vital signs. The child was extubated and sent to recovery, where he coded and died. The cardiac arrest that ultimately proved to be fatal occurred at a time which correlated with expected peak plasma concentrations of the drug.

During the code, which was managed by the anesthesiologist, the child was given a delayed and inadequate dose of intralipid to reverse toxicity. The allegations of negligence included the failure to perform the surgery in a Level III hospital with pediatric cardiology and critical care available, failure to properly administer the correct anesthetic dosages, improper extubation, and failure to conduct resuscitative efforts in a timely and appropriate fashion. Liability and causation were hotly contested, and the case settled after the designation of experts for both parties. No special damages were sought.

Plaintiff was a 54 year old female college professor without any history of urologic problems who underwent a craniotomy to resect a meningioma. Plaintiff tolerated the surgery well and a Foley remained in place. The nursing notes were incomplete and void totals were not always recorded. Despite the nursing monitoring, Plaintiff was again scanned and noted to have retention of over 1. There was also a significant discrepancy between the recollection of the nurses and the Plaintiff and her husband.

Plaintiff was discharged with a Foley in place. At present, Plaintiff remains unable to void on her own and must self-catheterize every 4 hours. Plaintiff was a 20 year old college student who suffered a traumatic brain injury in a motor vehicle collision in January, on Interstate 95 in Greensville County, Virginia. Plaintiff was a passenger in a car that collided with a tractor-trailer when the driver of the car changed lanes and lost control of his vehicle, resulting in a collision between the two vehicles. It was snowing at the time of the collision and the surface of the highway was slippery.

As a result of his brain injury, the plaintiff was forced to miss one semester of college while he recuperated from his injuries. He returned to college and, after changing his major, graduated from college. Despite his successful completion of college, the plaintiff still suffered from sequelae of his brain injury that included: partial loss of hearing in one ear; sleep disorder; and some problems with concentration, attention, memory, and emotionality. Plaintiff brought suit against both the driver of his vehicle, who was a close friend, and the tractor-trailer driver and his employer.

US targeted key Iranian proxy in cyberattack. Trump awards Medal of Honor to David Bellavia. SpaceX launches Department of Defense mission.

Wrongful Death Lawyer | Lehmbecker Law Firm | Bellevue, WA

Police find 5 dead in apparent murder-suicide. The accident, in which the other driver's Hyundai Accent crashed into Williams' Toyota Sequoia, resulted in the death of Jerome Barson two weeks later. His wife, Linda, was driving and was injured when the crash happened at an intersection in Palm Beach Gardens. Court filings from last week show that the case was dismissed with prejudice after a settlement was reached between Williams and Barson's estate, but the settlement amount was not listed. No charges were filed against the tennis star and a second driver over the crash in June , Florida authorities said.

Palm Beach Gardens Police obtained surveillance video of the June 9 collision from the perspective of a guard gate of a residential community near the intersection. On the basis of the video, police said in a statement shortly after the crash that, "the vehicle driven by Venus Williams lawfully entered the intersection on a circular green traffic signal, and attempted to travel north through the intersection.

Williams came to a stop as she traveled north through the intersection "to avoid a collision" when a car going west made a left turn in front of her, according to authorities. She then continued north, in accordance with state law, before another car collided with her vehicle, police said. Two weeks after the crash, Jerome Barson died in a hospital. His family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Williams, citing negligence.

The lawsuit stated that Barson's injuries included "severed main arteries, massive internal bleeding, a fractured spine, and massive internal organ damage. Both parties were given a chance to download and inspect crash data from the two vehicles involved.